Friday, November 07, 2008

Thanksgiving - Emma Kalinowski

Nothing is more deeply American than Thanksgiving! It brings out the generous, easygoing, inclusive nature of Americans that is part of the national character.

As an immigrant and naturalized American, I have no childhood Thanksgiving memories. However, I have many happy teenage memories, which involve other families inviting our English family to their Thanksgiving meals. That is what I think being American is all about … welcoming the stranger into your home. It is also what Jesus tells us to do.

Now I am an adult I think about what memories and meaning I want my son to associate with Thanksgiving. To me, Thanksgiving is simply about thanking God for the gifts he has bestowed on us, most of all, the gift of Jesus Christ.

The challenge is in making Thanksgiving more than that holiday that comes between the high-fructose-corn syrup-drenched Halloween and materialistic Christmas.

Do you have any ideas on how to make Thanksgiving celebration meaningful and memorable? Let us know at 1stand3rd_mops@yahoogroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shrimp Boil Foil Packs

Easy, tasty shrimp boil dinners baked or grilled in foil with homemade seasoning, fresh lemon, and brown butter sauce. Author: Tiffany Rec...