• For the Filling:
• 450 g / 1 lb apples,
• For the Topping:
• 1/2 cup cold butter
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 1/3 cup plain / all purpose flour
• Prep Time: 10 minutes
• Cook Time: 30 minutes
• Total Time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
Preheat the oven to 375º F
• Start by preparing the apples; peel, core and chop the peeled apples into chunky pieces. Place the apples into a shallow baking dish, approx 23 x 18 cm/ 9 x 7 inches.
• In a large baking bowl, place the flour and sugar. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl.
• Rub the butter into the flour and sugar until you have a very coarse mixture. Don't worry too much about getting the mixture really even, it is actually quite a rustic dish and works well with an uneven texture. You can also make the crumble mixture in a food processor. Place all the topping ingredients into the processor and process on pulse until you get a coarse mixture.
• Sprinkle a good layer of crumble topping over the apples, try to work on a depth half that of the apples, too thick and the middle won't cook.
• Place into the preheated oven and bake until golden and you can just seen the apples bubbling through from underneath ( about 30 minutes).
• Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream.