400g beef shin
2 medium potatoes
2 medium carrots
1/2 an onion
250ml beef stock
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp gravy granules
(If making mini pies, chop everything smaller)
1) If the beef shin isn't chopped, cut it into big chunks.
2) Chop the carrots, potatoes and onion and put them into the slow cooker with the beef.
3) Add the stock and mix the tomato puree through with the garlic.
4) Cook on high for 4 hours or medium for 6. The beef should be very soft. Stir in the gravy granules to thicken the sauce at the end.
5) Roll the pastry out until it's 1cm thick. Line your pie tin with pastry and cut the edges off.
6) Put the filling in until it's just below the line of the tin.
7 Lay pastry over the top and trim. I am generally too lazy to make it look pretty, but you can edge it with a fork.
8) Slash it with a sharp knife in the middle to let steam out when it's cooking.
9) Cook for 20 minutes on 400F fan
For mini pies, I use a tart tin and a biscuit cutter. Cut a larger shape for the bottom than the top pieces.